Friday, January 09, 2009

c-cedilla

I used to have a real problem with the way some people would pronounce ramen noodles, they would say "ray-men" which is not right, it should be "rah-men". Likewise anime should be "ah-neh-meh" not "an-ee-meh". That is because Japanese letters don't have the short a sound. Interestingly it used to really annoy me when people would pronounce crepe with on overly French accent. I know, I can't have it like that logically, but that is why I stopped caring about stuff like that much. We speak English, the language of amalgamation, it comes from everywhere and is spoken in many different ways.

However there is something that annoys me so much so that I usually stop reading after I see it. C-Cedilla: Ç. Come on that isn't even an english letter. We have like five ways to pronounce c -just use c and we will figure out a way to pronounce it. People that use it seem like they are just putting up a facade.

Ironically I really like the letter æ, so I guess you could call me a hypocrite. Or we could just write ˈhi-pə-ˌkrit and be done with it all.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

i wish people could pronounce gyro's correctly.

Ookami Snow said...

I worked for a local burger place called Herb's in Garden City (town of 30k in SW Kansas).

At some point we started to make gyros there, and since we have a very diverse population I got many awesome pronunciations of the word gyro. We even had a sign up that said how to pronounce it correctly.

It didn't help.