Wednesday, June 22, 2005

Hey, Klingons have feelings, too!

Beauty Dish (blargticle)


So she told me what he did. And as she told me, I started to laugh. I didn't laugh a little, either, but I belly-laughed and grabbed my stomach. My son stood with his class this morning, put small right hand over heart, faced the American flag, and recited his own personal pledge of allegiance:

I pledge allegiance to the flag of the United Federation of Planets, and to the galaxy for which it stands, one universe, under everybody, with liberty and justice for all species.

"Mrs. Jaworski. This isn't humorous. The Pledge is an extremely important and patriotic moment each morning in the classroom. I am ashamed of your son's behavior, and I hope you are, too."


(click the link to read the full post)
It's funny and sad at the same time. It's funny because you know the kid has spent probably hours thinking up his new pledge, and was just waiting for the right time to say it. But it is really sad that some people take the pledge of allegiance that seriously. Lighten up, these are only kids, and really it doesn't matter anyways.

Sad thing is, as teachers are expected more and more to be the parents of their students we will see more stupid school suspensions. And while we are on the subject, I think kids physically fighting is ok as long as they are both actually fighting (not just one kid just bullying another kid). Kids are kids, let them grow up, and let's not turn our country into a big wussfest.

1 comment:

The Math Ninja said...

You know, I read through some of the comments, and its sad. I mean, yeah the kid was creative and all and said a wrong pledge, but it wasn't disruptive. Heck, even if it was it didn't disrupt the learning environment. The teacher was wrong to ask(?) for a suspension. A simple talk to the kid woulda been fine.