Thursday, June 30, 2005

Report: PS3 to sell for $399, cost $494 to make

GameSpot (article)


Given that Sony's PS3 will face stiff competition from Microsoft's Xbox 360, the chances that Sony will release its console at its production cost is slim. Under the assumption that the Xbox 360 is expected to sell at around $299, Merrill Lynch Japan predicts that Sony will sell each PS3 at the price of 44,800 yen ($410) in Japan and $399 in America. That would mean Sony would suffer a loss of more than 130 billion yen ($1.18 billion) during the first year of the PS3's release.


I am glad that Sony is gonna take a hit to get the PS3 out there. And I am real glad that it will be under $400. As has been said before:

I was hoping to see it go for $399, but if they do put a 4 in the hundreds place I think it will turn many buyers to Xbox 360 even if it is not as good. (I would guess by the time the PS3 launches the Xbox 360 will have a price of $299.)


What a smart person that was for saying that all the way back on May 25th. Oh wait, that was me. ^_^
I usually don't brag, but I really did call that one.

No comments: