Sunday, February 25, 2007

Coke Caramel Corn

This morning when I was mostly asleep I had an idea. I was asleep so it kind of was a weird idea, but I was still awake enough to keep focused on the idea and work it out. My idea was to boil Coke down and then use the syrup to make caramel corn. I dreamed/pondered it for a while and then when I woke I dismissed it as just crazy talk.

Unfortunately my brain wouldn't stop thinking about it, so after being up for an hour or so I gave in and gave it a whirl. This is what I did:

I took 2 cups of Coke and dissolved 1/4 of brown sugar in it (I didn't know if the corn syrup in the Coke would allow for the boiled down liquid to get hard when it cooled, so I needed to add crystal sugar to be sure, and yes, I thought of adding this while still sleeping). I boiled this mixture down for a good long while, probably twenty minutes in total.

During this time I microwaved some "home style" popcorn. Home style popcorn has salt on butter on it, I wasn't thrilled about the butter part, but that is all i had, so that is what I used. After the Coke mixture got foamy for a minute or so I took it off the heat and added the popcorn (actually I had to do this in two batches because the skillet was to small.) I dished out the coated popcorn into bowls, and viola! Caramel Coke Popcorn.

I think the biggest surprise is that the popcorn actually tasted good. It was alot like normal caramel corn after it cooled, but it was still a bit sticky. There was much more flavor in the caramel, but I don't really think it tasted like Coke. I guess I would call this a successfully dreamt recipe, but then again probably any recipe that doesn't kill you that was invented while sleeping is a win overall.

8 comments:

Kat said...

That is fucking genius! I love lucid ideas. They always work if you don't lose them. Next time, try adding real butter. I bet that would be delish. I must try this.

The Gare Bear said...

The butter idea mentioned by Kat may be a good way to mitigate the stickiness. Also, if you modify your cooking to obtain a "soft ball" stage (or use a candy thermometer) you may excel at this recipe. In any case, what a fun dream. In regard to the caramel corn not tasting like Coke, that's interesting. I've tried marinating steak in Coke and the finished product doesn't taste like Coke either (remember Costa Rica steaks?)

Shanshu said...

I would not have thought that would have worked! Very intresting.

kimberlina said...

i think my heart stopped beating while i read that.

i am intrigued, yet frightened!

Ookami Snow said...

@kimberlina - give it a try if you like caramel corn. I think adding butter (1-2 Tbs?) like Kat said and cooking it to a temp instead of just a foam like Gare Bear mentions are the next steps to improve it.

I would like to see how it turns out for other people. (Let me know if you make it, and take pics!)

Anamika Anyone said...

See, normally I dopn't like popcorn, but this sounds crazy enough to be delicious!
Bon appetite..

Anita Baker said...

that is very interesting. maybe i'll try it.

although i've been getting mass emails lately about how coke is eveil and you can clean the engine of your car with it....

Spinning Girl said...

wow! i've never dreamed a recipe before ...