Thursday, February 22, 2007

Where are my retro movies?

Retro currently is the cat's meow for video game companies (you just don't appreciate how awesomely lame the phrase 'the cat's meow' is until it is in writing). Any company that had produced a video game in the 70's 80's or 90's is living it up right now because they are raking in the money from the hard work from the days of olde. Their are retro games in compilations for the major gaming systems, there are retro games inside plug-and-play controllers at Walmart, there are retro games to download on the Wii and XBox 360. Retro games are everywhere, and we are buying them. Is this a bad thing? Heck no! I want to buy Sim City for my Wii so that I can relive my days of the past. I look forward to being able to play all the games that I own and are in a box somewhere. It is fun for me and it is making Nintendo (et al.) lots of money. But that is not the point of this post. What I want to know is; where are the retro movies?

This really all started when I watched Back to the Future III on TV. I forgot how much fun that movie was. It got me thinking that I wish I could go and see all three movies again in the movie theater. But why stop there, why not release the original Star Wars to the theater -I would pay full ticket price to watch them again on the big screen. And Ghostbusters too. Actually, there is a whole slew of old movies that I would pay current ticket prices to go watch again. So why is it that the movie theaters aren't capitalizing on the retro craze? Is it that there is just too many good new movies being made currently? Ummm... no... Is it that they can't physically play the movies in the theater due to technology? This might have been a reason in the past, but now that more and more theaters are moving to digital projectors I would figure an HD-DVD of the movie is all you would need to run the film in the room.

So what's up? Why no Marty McFly, Luke Skywalker, or Ecto-1 racing off to a haunting call? I will pay full price to see them, and that is something that I am not doing with the current films that are at the theater. It really is a win-win; so Carmike Cinemas give me a call, we'll do lunch.

3 comments:

Shanshu said...

Oh, dude. Get ready to love me forever.

There is a movie theatre in KC that shows old movies on the big screen every month. They even SERVE ALCOHOL during these events.

I think they showed Goonies last summer.

I don't know the name off the top of my head, but if you remind me I will look it up or ask my friend who has gone so she can tell me the name of the place.

kimberlina said...

d00d.

1. this is an awesome idea. the last unicorn, anyone? yea? plus, let's put an END to the painful, painful remakes. i swear to god, i'll choke on my sock if i have to see another remake/remake preview.

2. i heart the goonies, and apparently need to move to "kc".

Ookami Snow said...

Kimberlina-
1. Yes, I am getting very tired of bad remakes.

2. kc = Kansas City

And yes I would really like to know what theater this is at.