Monday, May 16, 2005

Eight Ways to Win an Argument

Schopenhauer (article)

I like to argue. That is because I like to be in pursuit of the truth. Other people like to argue. That is because some of them what to be right at all costs, even when they know they are wrong. I don’t like them.

I think that all my beliefs are correct. If they are not correct, I will change them. This means that if I am shown wrong, I must modify my beliefs. So when arguing I am not arguing to make you believe what I believe, it is usually to see why you believe what you do, because if you have a good reason to believe such things it is worth wile for me to consider it. I argue to find the truth. Some others don’t.

This article is a guide on how to win arguments, and it will tell you how to win an argument. It has such helpful tips such as:

26. A brilliant move is to turn the tables and use your opponent's arguments against himself.
Example: Your opponent declares: "so and so is a child, you must make an allowance for him."
You retort, "Just because he is a child, I must correct him; otherwise he will persist in his bad habits."


But there are also tips on how to argue dirty:

38. Become personal, insulting and rude as soon as you perceive that your opponent has the upper hand.
In becoming personal you leave the subject altogether, and turn your attack on the person by remarks of an offensive and spiteful character.
This is a very popular technique, because it takes so little skill to put it into effect.


I hate when people argue like this. *They* are the “close minded” ones. When they see that they will lose, they do not change their opinion, or step back from the argument to think, they become crybabies. I HATE arguing with these kinds of people, I have tried to stop arguing with those that do not argue to find truth, but instead try to win at all costs.

It is worth looking at the list, so that you can recognize when someone is not arguing to find the truth, but arguing to win the argument. And if you find yourself every arguing with someone who is arguing dirty, I encourage you to stop the argument as soon as possible.

No comments: